The Commons at West Milwaukee – West Milwaukee, WI

The Commons at West Milwaukee is a multi-tenant retail development at the corner of Miller Park Way and Greenfield Ave. This adaptive re-use project centered on converting an existing 1955 warehouse building to a new retail center using a combination of new and recycled building materials, while maintaining the original “Southside Milwaukee mid-20th century industrial” aesthetic. Major modifications to the existing warehouse included lowering the floor 16” to make the building accessible, replacing the front façade along Miller Park Way, and supplementing the existing roof structure. Recycled materials include structural steel from a demolished gas station previously located on the site, reclaimed “Chicago Pink” clay brick, and reclaimed cedar planks. New corrugated metal, stone fiber cement panels, and concrete were added to the existing material palette to reinforce the industrial aesthetic of the building’s original use, while introducing a modern aspect that ties the building to both the past and the future of the Miller Park Way commercial corridor.

Green Architects Milwaukee - Persepctive Design Incorporated